01 September 2022

Need Help with Latin

As some of you are no doubt aware, when I write about the Democratic Party establishment (There is no Democratic Party establishment), I do so in a rather consistent manner.

If I wanted to call for the elimination of the Democratic Party establishment (There is no Democratic Party establishment), it seems to me, that I should use Latin, specifically the phrase Delenda est.

This, or course invokes the famous quote from Cato the Elder, "Carthago delenda est," which means that, "Carthage must be destroyed."

Given my extremely limited knowledge of Latin, I'm not sure how to translate the phrase, "The Democratic Party establishment (There is no Democratic Party establishment) must be destroyed," into proper Latin.

I had the following suggestion:

Factio democratica instauratio (Nulla constitutio factionis democraticae) delenda est

Which translates, at least according to Google translate, as "The establishment of the Democratic Party (no constitution of the Democratic Party) must be destroyed."  (This is what you get from Google Translate if you put in the original English phrase.

I screwed around a bit with this, and came up with:

Factio democratica instauratio (Nulla institut factionis democratica) delenda est

Which the Google machine translates as, "The establishment of the Democratic Party (no establishment of the Democratic Party) must be destroyed." 

So the latter seems to be a more accurate translation, at least according to the Google machine, but one thing that I am certain of is the Google algorithms suck wet farts from dead pigeons.

Given my lack of ability in language, (including English) and the fact that English is primarily a syntactic language, and Latin is primarily an inflected language, I am even more lost than usual.

So, any fans of Publius Vergilius Maro (Virgil) out there who want to help with this?

1 comments :

Quasit said...

I think it might be better as "Factio democratica instauratio (Nulla est institut factionis democratica) delenda est". But I only took one year of Latin.

Post a Comment