27 May 2022

Quote of the Day

As a Christian, the only comfort I can offer amid revelations of widespread sexual abuse facilitated by a generation of Southern Baptist leadership is this: When they get to Hell, they’re going to be surprised.

—Sam Thielman, about the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) sexual abuse scandal, in an essay rather evocatively titled, "You Guys Actually Worship Cthulhu"

You want to read this article, and including how two men, Paige_Patterson (fired as president of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary covering up sexual abuse and threatening victims) and Paul_Pressler (raped teenage boys) drove more moderate members of the convention out, and promulgated a theology known as the doctrine of total depravity,*, which, as near as I can ascertain, involves a doubling down on self loathing.

Having read up on these folks, I can understand why they might loathe themselves, I loathe them, and I've never met them.

In any case, it is a useful primer on how the SBC as it exists today would blame victims and cover up abuse.  The author actually makes a case for how the SBC how it exists today would be incapable of doing anything else.

Who knew that Tartuffe was a documentary?

*As Anna Russell would say, "I'm not making this up, you know."

1 comments :

Cthulhu said...

For the record, I have nothing to do with these child raping monsters. I and my extended family have actual standards.

Post a Comment