24 August 2021

Damn


Watts' drumming is the foundation of this song

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts has died at 80

I will leave you with a story that will warm the heart of every percussionist out there:

There are a few versions of this story, but the gist is the same — after a night out in Amsterdam with Richards, Jagger drunkenly called Watts’s hotel room at 5 a.m. and asked, “Where’s my drummer?” when Watts picked up. Irate, Watts got out of bed, shaved, got dressed to the nines in a bespoke suit, went to Richards’s room, and punched Jagger in the face. The better version of the story has it ending with Watts saying, “Don’t ever call me your drummer again. You’re my f%$#ing singer!” That detail isn’t included in Richards’s retelling of it, but Keith’s version, which appeared in his autobiography Life, includes the detail of Jagger falling over on a tray of smoked salmon and nearly falling out of the window into a canal. The only reason Richards stopped the fight? Jagger was wearing Keith’s wedding jacket.

There is not a drummer in the world that doesn't dream of saying, "Don’t ever call me your drummer again. You’re my f%$#ing singer!"  (I confirmed this with my percussionist son)

0 comments :

Post a Comment