31 July 2015

Safe Journey, Roddy.

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, nee Roderick Toombs, has died of a heart attack at age 61.

To the degree that I've followed wrestling, I had a house mate who was big into it, it was after Piper's move to acting, so I do not have much of a comment on this, but I do recall his performance in the iconic John Carpenter film They Live:
“Rowdy” Roddy Piper, the kilt wearing trash-talker who headlined the first WrestleMania and later found movie stardom, died Friday. He was 61.

The WWE confirmed the death. The wrestling organization provided no additional details.

Piper, born Roderick Toombs in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, is the second WWE Hall of Famer to die this summer, following the June death of Dusty Rhodes. ………

In addition to his celebrity in the ring, Piper appeared in John Carpenter’s 1988 cult classic “They Live.” In that film, he delivered the memorable line: “I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass — and I’m all out of bubblegum.”
If you haven't seen They Live, do so.

It is a rather irreverent commentary on the Reagan era, and is perhaps even more relevant now.

0 comments :

Post a Comment