07 January 2013

Maybe Not Unto the 3rd Generation, but More than a Decade

John Aravosis wondered how long the boycott of Domino's Pizza should last beyond Tom Monaghan's sale of the pizza delivery firm:
The thing is, a lot of people are still ticked at Domino’s for the Monaghan years. I know I am. I still avoid Domino’s when possible, even though I “know” Monaghan is gone. (And most of us didn’t even know about the Romney/Bain connection – they owned the company after Monaghan, though they’re now gone too.)

Like Coors, years after it faced a gay backlash, Domino’s was run by a lot of right-wing jerks during much of its existence, and the company is now trying to figure out how to get rid of some serious baggage. And like Coors, Dominos, Cracker Barrel, Chick-fil-A all give me a bad taste in my mouth, even though the first two have gotten rid of their far-right heritage.

Are liberals being unfair to Domino’s, or Coors or Cracker Barrel? Once bad people sell a company, is it time for us to let bygones be bygones? If Monaghan continues being a jerk, is it time to stop holding Domino’s response for his ongoing actions?
It's a legitimate question.

I'm not sure how long a boycott for this sort of sh%$ should last, but it should be at least a decade, and probably at least 2.

This is not about being unwilling to let go, it's about economics:  If a boycott goes away as soon as the right wing ratf%$# sells out, then he can sell out for more money.

Any protest must continue for a long enough time to ensure there is no easy/lucrative escape hatch.

Yes, I know that this is in response from a post made over 2 weeks ago, I came across this when I was doing some house cleaning.

1 comments :

Cthulhu said...

This is my dilemma. The local Papa Johns is owned by a very nice gay couple. Great guys, very involved in the community (And by that, I mean the WHOLE community, not just the LGTB one).

But the guy they pay fees too is the excrement like John Schnatter who I refuse to support.

Post a Comment