07 August 2007

Guys Night Out

My daughter had a concert this evening at her very frum1 summer camp.

It's a girls only camp, and a female only concert, because it's not tznius2 for women to sing for men not their relatives3.

This meant that it was guys night out for Charlie and me. So we got Pizza, and since the local Kosher place (there are at least 2 Kosher pizzerias in Ballmur4.

As luck would have it, they have introduced a Sicilian5 pizza, so Charlie and I shared one, half extra cheese, and half had mushroom and felafel6. It was his first exposture to deep dish pizza. I had to explain to him that its shape was because it was baked in a (square) pan.

We hung out, and chatted about this and that...The sort of things that an 8 year olds mind turns to...like microbiology7.

After gorging ourselves, we went to the bookstore and he looked at the fiction (didn't find anything), and I looked at the aircraft magazines (I didn't find anything either).

1 Meaning very old school Orthodox Jewish
2 Meaning modest
3 In fact, you could call it medieval with no objection from me.
4 Baltimore Maryland, hon.
5 Deep Dish pizza to the uniniated.
6 A poor substitute for sausage, but it's what is available at a Kosher place, and corrupting my son would upset my beloved.
7Really...He's discovered Giant Microbes dot com, so we were talking about things like the difference between Salmonella and Typhoid fever, the origins of Mitochondria, Organelles in the cells, the role of Adenosine-triphosphate and RNA in cellular function, etc. He's scary smart. He used the word metaphor in proper context when he was 5.

0 comments :

Post a Comment