15 July 2007

Putting On Your Stupid Hat

As some of you are no doubt aware, I'm in the SCA, a medieval re-creation group, which simulates a number of activities, such as cooking, calligraphy, garb, and medieval combat

For the past 5 years, between the kids, and my involvement in other aspect of the SCA, most notably cooking, and I haven't put my armor on at all.

I put my armor and re-authorized (qualified to be a safe fighter) yesterday.

The combat is full contact, with rattan (a sort of solid bamboo) weapons, and we wear armor (16 gauge steel on the head, minimum).

I did OK, though after qualification, I laid down, and put my hand on a hornet, with the expected results, so I spent the next half hour getting Benadryl® on that the sting, and I decided not to fight after that, because the (admittedly minor, I'm not that allergic) swelling looked like a blister just waiting to happen.

When all is said and done, I did OK in the authorization bout. I actually "killed" my opponent from my knees after my legs were taken (think Monty Python and the Holy Grail), which I almost never do.

I've got to get back into my "getting hit over the head lessons".

Unfortunately, fighter practice here is Friday night, which is right out because it's Shabbos, so I can't show up.

0 comments :

Post a Comment