21 April 2024

Worst Ear Worm Ever


The Horror!

So, I have had this ear worm for the past few days, and I think that I am going to lose what little is left of my mind.

The tune in question, Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al," is a fun catchy tune, but this is not the problem.

The problem is that I am hearing it in my head with different lyrics.

Specifically, I am hearing the tune, but they lyrics are the Jewish Hymn Adon Olam (אֲדוֹן עוֹלָם).

This hymn, which ends almost every Jewish service has a number of commonly used tunes, and it is thought by some to be able to be adapted to any tune.

I do know that in addition to the aforementioned Paul Simon song, that it works well with the Iron Butterfly anthem "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida."

In any case, here is the full text of the hymn:

אֲדוֹן עוֹלָם אֲשֶׁר מָלַךְ
בְּטֶרֶם כָּל יְצִיר נִבְרָא‎

לְעֵת נַעֲשָׂה בְחֶפְצוֹ כֹּל
אֲזַי מֶלֶךְ שְׁמוֹ נִקְרָא‎

וְאַחֲרֵי כִּכְלוֹת הַכֹּל
לְבַדּוֹ יִמְלוֹךְ נוֹרָא‎

וְהוּא הָיָה וְהוּא הֹוֶה
וְהוּא יִהְיֶה בְּתִפְאָרָה‎

וְהוּא אֶחָד וְאֵין שֵׁנִי
לְהַמְשִׁיל לוֹ לְהַחְבִּירָה‎

בְּלִי רֵאשִׁית בְּלִי תַכְלִית
וְלוֹ הָעֹז וְהַמִּשְׂרָה‎

וְהוּא אֵלִי וְחַי גּוֹאֲלִי
וְצוּר חֶבְלִי בְּעֵת צָרָה‎

וְהוּא נִסִּי וּמָנוֹס לִי
מְנָת כּוֹסִי בְּיוֹם אֶקְרָא‎

בְּיָדוֹ אַפְקִיד רוּחִי
בְּעֵת אִישָׁן וְאָעִירָה‎

וְעִם רוּחִי גְוִיָּתִי
אֲדֹנָי לִי וְלֹא אִירָא‎

0 comments :

Post a Comment