05 October 2022

John Oliver

So, Trevor Noah will be leaving The Daily Show at some point in the not too distant future.

So the question is, "Who do you want to see take the role of host?"

I want John Oliver.

I actually prefer Noah to his predecessor, Jon Stewart, because while he was never as good of an interviewer, and the format, particularly post Covid has seemed contrived, he is not an aficionado of the, "View from nowhere," where Jon Stewart was.

Noah showed outrage about the outrageous, while under Stewart it was primarily undeservedly even-handed mockery.  (Both siderism)

Personally, I want to see John Oliver to replace Trevor Noah. (His most recent video at bottom)

He's a better interviewer than Noah, he clearly is better at conveying outrage than Noah, he's a good interviewer, and his gift in explaining complicated grifts to the average viewer are better than both Noah and Stewart combined.

If I were to make a prediction, I would say that Oliver is not interested.  He is doing one show a week, not 4, which means that he can be more thoughtful, and does not have to work as hard.

As to who is a likely replacement?

I would guess that it is The Daily Show current or former regular, and among that crowd, I would like Roy Wood Jr., but I would guess that Jordan Klepper, Wyatt Cenac, Amanda Ruffin (who I know nothing about, but has gotten buzz), or Samantha Bee.

I'll give 2:1 odds that I'm wrong though.  I inherited my dad's poor prognostication gene.

0 comments :

Post a Comment