20 November 2019

Live (Drunk) Blogging the November Debates

11:19pm:
I am completely drunk.

11:14pm:
Closing statements:
Cory Booker is a very good speaker.

Tom Streyer: A big bag of nothing.

Tulsi Gabbard: Nice closing, but she got very little air time.

Andrew Yang: Silicon Snake Oil.

Amy Klobuchar: I don't know why, but I just hate her.

Kamala Harria: She REALLY needs a hook.

Pete Buttigieg: Content free hope and change.

Sanders: Talks up his history of opposing bigotry. He also touts his support from small donors.

Warren: Calls out corruption of government. I hope that it means realistic change.

Biden: Word salad with a reference to Barack Obama.

11:00pm:
Charlie has taken away my bottle. I am really REALLY drunk.

10:58 pm:
Gabbard calls out Mayor Mayonnaise's call for occupation of Mexico. Good. Drink.

10:50pm:
Tulsi Gabbard comes out for paper ballots counted manudlly, 2 snaps up. Drink.

10:56pm:
Mayor Mayonnaise is right to bring up Gerrymandering.

10:53pm:
Roe for Wade now comes up: the Elephant in the room.

Warren dodges the question about John Bel Edwards support for anti-abortion legislation, but Bernie comes out unequivocally in favor of abortion rights.

10:44pm:
Biden says that he is now in favor of legalization of marijuana, major policy change.

Still calling for health studies, but this is a major policy change.

Also, I am completely f%$#ed up. Charlie is now acting as my spotter.

10:40pm:
Corey Booker: "I've had a lifetime of experience with black voters, I've been one since I've one since I was 18."

Also he goes after Biden on his antediluvian pot policies. Take a drink.

10:36pm:
Mayor Mayonnaise: Let me talk about what's in my heart. Does not mention evicting poor people to make spaces available for wealthy developers. Take a drink.

10:30pm:
Yeah, I am seriously drunk now. Thank God for auto spell check.

White Supremacist violence is brought up.

I did not expect this, and it is a good question.

The proper answer is, "I will go after white supremacists like Obama and Holder went after Occupy Wall Street."

10:27pm:
Brian Williams talks up post debate analysis at MSNBC.

F%$# that. I'm switching to the Daily Show.

Also, the ads for The Report (CIA torture) and Queen and Slim (Black Lives Matter) seem a savvy market move.

10:26 pm:
Mayor Mayonnaise refers to Trump using 17th technology like moats filled with alligators and walls. Drink.

10:22 pm:
Sanders: "Saudi Arabia is not a reliable American ally."

Also Sanders: "Me must treat the Palestinians with the they deserve."

Good.

He also said, "Be clear." Drink per Taibbi rules.

Also, I am a bit shicker now.

10:16pm:
My rather unscientific sense is that Sanders is getting an absolute minimum of time in the debates.

10:14pm:
Yang asked what his call to Putin would be if he was elected.

Stupidest question of the evening.

10:12pm:
Bernie asked about Afghanistan, and makes point that the endless wars we are promulgating need to be ended, "But unlike Trump, I will not do it by a tweet at 3 in the morning." Nice slam, take drink.

10:09pm:
On the DPRK, Harris has a good line, "Donald Trump got punk'd." Take a drink.

She then goes on with a full throated defense of American empire, and Joe Biden follows down the same path, and adds a dash of brinksmanship. Take shot.


10:07pm:
Climate change, and Steyer, Biden, and Sanders are generally on the same page.

The Biden bit surprises me.

Sanders calls big oil criminals. Oh, snap. Take a shot.

10:01pm:
I'm back, and I've cracked a bottle of rum.

Took a shot to start. It's 151 black rum. I felt it in my ears.

Have a bottle of water for a chaser.

9:29pm:
Off to pick up Charlie.

9:26pm:
Kamala Harris basically goes down the "Tulsi Gabbard is a tool of the enemy" path.

Not surprised. Gabbard brought up Harris' awful record as a prosecutor in prior debates, which has killed her campaign.

9:19 pm:
Mayor Mayonnaise (Pete) is using Republican talking points on Medicaid for All.

9:16 pm:
Warren and Booker are getting into it over a wealth tax.

Warren had a good line, "I'm tired of freeloading billionaires."

Booker is clearly not into taxing rich people.

9:10pm:
Joe Biden is asked about how he will full his (IMNSHO delusional) vision of of bipartisan action given that the Republicans are going after his kid.


Mostly, he danced around  and brought back to impeachment.


9:01pm:
First question is about impeachment developments, and the Ambassador Sondland bombshell.

Basically an easy question in the context of debates.

Sanders observes that the Senate can walk and chew gum at the same time, and continue to do their day job while conducting an impeachment.

Pete Buttigieg really is sentient mayonnaise.

9:00pm:
At the introductions, and since I have to pick Charlie from the Metro, so I am currently not drinking.


I am not repeating the mistake that I made in September, when I went with 30 proof Buttershots, I am going with (cheap) rum, and using an actually shot glass, as opposed to a small glass, but I hope to get hammered before the debates are done.

Once again, I will be posting at the top, with each update having a time in HH:MM pm format.

Once again, my drinking will be guided, thought not controlled, by Matt Taibbi's most recent debate drinking game.

0 comments :

Post a Comment