08 June 2018

Why to Endorse Nixon*

The Nation has endorsed Cynthia Nixon for Governor of New York.

I agree with their sentiment, but I disagree with their reasoning.

Andrew Cuomo is a politically powerful incumbent, and I think that going against him requires more than ideological differences, even if they are major differences.

Why I support Ms. Nixon, and why I think that all Democrats, regardless of ideology, should support her is slightly different: (Apologies to the unknown author of Dayenu)
  • I think that one can support a conservative Democrat.
  • I think that one can support a conservative Democrat who swims in a sea of corruption as a fish swims in the ocean. (Absent an indictment)
  • I think that one can support a conservative Democrat who swims in a sea of corruption as a fish swims in the ocean, and embraces pay-to-play politics and opposes campaign finance reform.
  • I think that one can support a conservative Democrat who swims in a sea of corruption as a fish swims in the ocean, and embraces pay-to-play politics and opposes campaign finance reform, who balances the budget on the backs of the poor and school children.
  • I think that one can support a conservative Democrat who swims in a sea of corruption as a fish swims in the ocean, and embraces pay-to-play politics and opposes campaign finance reform who balances the budget on the backs of the poor and school children, while he starves the city and mass transit to cut taxes for rich people.

I don't think that one should vote for him, but it is (barely) possible to justify supporting him.

Andrew Cuomo crosses a line though: He is not just a conservative Democrat, he is a DISLOYAL Democrat.

In order to avoid having to weigh in on progressive legislative proposals, he has aggressively worked to keep the state Senate in Republican hands, and this should cross a line even for the contemptible greed-heads who would otherwise support his policies. (I'm talking to you Chuck Schumer)

Call it the Joe Lieberman rule, and make it stick.

* It's a different Nixon, but it still makes me feel queasy.

0 comments :

Post a Comment