15 November 2009

Quote of the Day

Ayn Rand: The Boring Bitch is Back
--Barry Ritholtz discussing an article in GQ that excoriates the author.

Ritholtz himself describes her as a, "pedantic bore," who writes, "blindingly horrific prose."

I agree with both, though I have never been able to force myself to read anything of hers beyond The Virtue of Selfishness, a perusal of which made me <sarcasm>long for the straightforward and beautifully written prose of Immanuel Kant</sarcasm> and consider self immolation as an alternative to reading any more of hew work.

His last bit is prize:

Worst of all, Rand’s Objectivism has become the rationale for all manner of morally repugnant behaviour. However, I did take one personal lesson from Atlas Shrugged to heart: Anytime I see a parked car with a John Galt bumper sticker, I like to knock off one of the sideview mirrors, and leave it on the hood. I include a note stating my selfish, random act made me feel good, and therefore should be a perfectly fine act in their world.

I assume the recipients miss the irony . . .

0 comments :

Post a Comment