17 March 2010

OK, I'm Depressed

Well, the New York Times interviewed Mickey Kaus* on the occasion of his run for Senate, which seems to be driven by his need to cock punch DFH's, though his primary opponent Barbara Boxer is a woman, which kinds of screws up the metaphor.

In any case, he was asked the following:
NYT: How much do they pay you?

Kaus: I had been making in the mid-90s, and then I had to take a pay cut along with everyone else, and I was making in the 80s. I’m fortunate to make any money as a blogger. There are some who make more. Most of them work for The Atlantic.
Well, Brad Delong runs the numbers, and comes up with the following:
Mickey Kaus has written 54 posts in the past ten weeks--that's an average of 5.4 posts for each week in which he makes $1,800, or $333 a weblog post. This seems to me to be way out of line--suggesting some major source of labor-market monopoly is preventing Slate from rationalizing its labor costs.
(emphasis original)

Well, remember when I commented that I had made 10,625 Posts over the past 2¾ Years, and the first time that anyone asked to run an ad specifically on my content, it was for that bung dropper video?

The sum total of my creative value is two checks, each for a bit over $100, and a 3rd one should be coming shortly, probably this month as I am less than a dollar away from the check cutting threshold.

This here is post number 10,710 so let's figure that I will have gotten $315 for about 10,900 posts, or about 2.9¢ a post.

If I figured it on a per word basis, I think that I'd retire to a monastery in Tibet, and I hate Yak butter.

Still, who reads Kaus? Seriously.

*Who has still not denied that he blows goats.
I was turned down, because I could not demonstrate ownership, it ain't mine, and because they were concerned that butchering a carcass was not "family safe".

0 comments :

Post a Comment