- Backdoor accounts found in 80 Sony IP security camera models (PCWorld) We need regulation, and liability for the companies doing the "Internet of things".
- Revealed: Rio Tinto's plan to use drones to monitor workers' private lives (The Guardian) The Syfy show Incorporated is increasingly sounding like a documentary.
- Cat Hulbert: How I got rich beating men at their own game (BBC) Education of a poker player: A professional poker player who is a woman discusses how she gets in her opponents' heads.
- After Choi-gate (Jacobin) A good summary of Korean protests, with a focus on how Korea is still not good on its democratic institutions.
- What Does Modern Money Theory Tell us About Demonetisation? (The Wire) A good summary both of India's demonitization (it has pulled the bulk of its currency out of circulation) and Modern Monetary Theory (MMT).
- That Thing With Feathers Trapped in Amber? It Was a Dinosaur Tail (New York Times) Paleontology awesomeness of the month.
- Why “They’re Just Dumb Racists” is Liberalism’s Climate Denialism (Medium) Read this. Money quote: The great gift of accepting that racism has a material factor which can cause it to explode — stagnation — is that then we can do something about it.
This should not be remarkable, but this self described, "Hillbilly from the Holler," gets it: