03 June 2010

Is there a Single Straight Man in the Republican Party?

I have to invoke this when discussing the travails of anyone named "Kirk".
And by "Straight Man," I don't mean someone who sets up a joke.

Mark Kirk, the Republican running for Barack Obama's seat in Illinois, has already been outed for exaggerating his military record, and now it appears that he has been just plain outed.

Michael Rogers recounts how when Kirk, who was generally pretty mild on the "hate te ghey" stuff, decided to run for Senate, he went hard right, and he got phone calls:
Until now, Mark Kirk elected not to play the typical Washington game. Instead of supporting his party's dismal record on gay rights, Kirk received Human Rights Campaign ratings of 67% in 2002, 88% in 2004, 76% in 2006 and 85% in 2008. That's more impressive than a lot of Democrats. I even let Kirk slide by when he didn't co-sponsor earlier legislation relating to the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. My thoughts then were that he wasn't THAT bad on gay stuff and that the bill was going nowhere anyway.

………

Within hours of the DADT repeal vote I was contacted by two people who knew Kirk from his college days.
He then goes on to relate how two of his sources gave details on, "described personal details about the House, um, er, 'member,' " and further notes that he (Rogers) was at a party where Kirk essentially admitted that he was gay:
It was at that party that I met Mark Kirk. I was introduced to him by the person I came with and at the time did not realize he was a member of the House. As my friend walked away, Kirk asked me if the man who introduced us was "single or attached." When I said that he had a partner, Kirk replied disappointingly, "oh, well." At the end of that interaction I walked away and didn't think much of it at the time.
I really don't care who a politician f%$#s, unless it's the American public, but Kirk has gone Teabagger on this issue simply for political gain, and that means that, as is the case with his vote on DADT, he is screwing the American public out of craven hypocricy.

Furthermore, I think that the closet, whether it's over sexuality or anything else, is a bad place for anyone who holds power to be, it twists values and world view, and opens them up to blackmail and other forms of coercion.

Needless to say, this makes the row to hoe easier for Friend-of-Barack State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias, who is tied up in the failure of his family's bank, which includes allegations of fraud, but I still think that this race is Kirk's to lose.

H/t Crooks and Liars.

0 comments :

Post a Comment