24 May 2008

On Hillary Clinton's Bats$#@ Insane Comments

I read Clinton's comments, and thought that they were really, REALLY, stupid.

Yesterday, I saw Olbermann's comments, and while I agree with his basic take on the comments, that they were a very, very bad thing, I think that he was plainly overwrought.

With the possible exception of an editorial board meeting of the National Review, Olbermann's MSNBC is perhaps the most intense pool of Hillary hatred in the media, though it is not an isolated phenomenon, you hear complaints about this everywhere from the local paper to NPR.*

So I've been thinking about it for the past 24 hours, and I've finally got a bit of a take on what she said, and the reaction to it among the traditional and internet political commentariat.

First and formost, this something that we are ALL thinking about. Every one of us, and we are unwilling to say it aloud, because it terrifies us.

Simply put, there are thousands of people who are looking at their guns, and wondering if they should, "Stop that uppity n***er", and we all know that.

I don't think that Hillary should have said this...I don't think that anyone should have said this.

What's more, I don't think that any Democrat should have even made an Eagleton reference.

Her explanation, that, People have been trying to push her out of the race since Iowa, is factually true, and may explain but does not justify her comments.

As strange as it seems, I think that she is not talking about Bill Clinton in 1992, nor was she really talking about the assassination of JFK. She was talking about Eugene McCarthy, who by most objective measures "won" the 1968 nomination process, after RFK was killed, at least the primaries, only to have it pried from him by the party bosses.

So this is where I think that statement came from, but that don't make it right.

*This is why Clinton's 3am ad was called racist, as was the statement that the nomination is for President (aka LBJ), and not leader of a civil rights movement (MLK), because I think that a lot of people inside and outside of the media, including Tweety, Pumpkin Head, and Olberman were looking for a reason to hate her.
Truth be told, after losing McCarthy's behavior showed him to be an embarrassment to the party and the nation **cough** World Series **cough**, and I don't think that Hillary Clinton will do that.

0 comments :

Post a Comment