28 December 2007

A Note to Ramesh Ponnuru

It appears that the Ramesh Ponnuru, senior editor for National Review, has taken offense at a a blog post I made about 8 days ago regarding rumors that Time Magazine wanted him to write regular OP/EDs for them.

The title was and is over the top and offensive, which will surprise my friends no one bit, and you can go to the post and see my apology in the comment.

However, I take exception (not offense, exception) to one thing that he posted in The Corner:
That's one "progressive" blogger's reaction to the possibility that I will become a regular columnist for Time.
(emphasis mine)

I am not a progressive. I am a liberal.

A progressive is what wimps call themselves if they favor forward looking programs, but have capitulated to the linguistic efforts to equate the term "liberal" with "N***er Lover" in the 1970s by various reactionaries.

I'd like to think that I have a bit more intestinal fortitude.

To quote John F. Kennedy:
But if by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal."
You can also refer to the late Steve's Gilliard's post on the subject. He was alway rather insistent on his use of the term "liberal", rather than "progressive".

0 comments :

Post a Comment